Firstly, oh my gosh! Nominated for an award?? Little Trevor the farting Staffie?? Thank you so much to Rusty Dog Blog for the nomination! Seeing as Trevor miserably failed his Bronze Kennel Club award last night (totally my fault, retaking the test on Thursday) it was a lovely surprise! At least his daft antics are winning him something 😉 So apparently now I have to answer some questions, write some new questions, and nominate some more blogs!
– Nominee posts an image of the award on their blog.
– Nominee links back to the nominator’s blog and of course thanks them.
– Nominee answers 11 questions nominator ask of them.
– Nominee then nominates 11 new bloggers they deem worthy with less than 300 followers & make sure to tell them.
– Nominee poses 11 questions for their nominees to answer.
So in my short few weeks of blogging, here we go!
1. What inspired you to start a blog?
When I was considering rescuing a dog, I thought I would fall in love with my new best friend and live happily ever after. 7 weeks down the line and yes, I am in love with him, but I also want to kill him occasionally. I didn’t know that adopting a rescue dog would be such EMOTIONAL hard work. I guess I wanted to tell others that it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be in a way. I wanted to write the honest account that I wish I’d read before I adopted. That said, I also wanted to show that the horrible moments are vastly outweighed by the lovely moments and that it is the loveliest thing that anyone could ever do 🙂
2. What inspires you to continue writing?
I have been a bit lax on my posting frequency as of late, however my mother keeps nagging me to post more and I had a man in a park come up to me over the weekend and tell me how much he loves my blog! So I guess I should carry on writing…!
3. Are you volunteering anywhere? Why or Why not?
I don’t currently volunteer however I try my best to post as much as I can on the Friends of the Dogs, Cardiff forum (where Trevor came from!) to boost up the chances of dogs getting adopted, and I even accidentally rehomed a GSD through plentyoffish.com!!
4. How often do you read through your own blog? (Come on…We all do it!)
I usually give each post a read through after I have posted it, and occasionally do a full read through from the beginning to see Trevor’s journey from start to now. It’s lovely to see how much he has improved!
5. What does your life consist of besides blogging?
Dogs. It seems to be all I ever think about! Aside from that I am losing my job at the end of the month AND having to move house (yes, I’m taking the dog!) so forgive me if I don’t post very regularly!
6.Would you call yourself an expert? Of what?
I am an expert at worrying too much. So much so I attached a little bell to Trevor’s collar so I can always hear where he is in the house!
7. Three silliest questions/remarks people make about your dog:
1. Why are you getting a Staffie? You do know it will rip your face off don’t you? – Actual quote from a friend of mine
2. Can we see if he has a proper ‘lock-jaw’? – My neighbour while drunkenly dangling a towel over the fence. No, drunken neighbour, you cannot test your badly researched theory. Go away.
3. Is he a puppy? – Everyone. Seriously, Trev is stumpy and has big feet and a puppy face, however he will probably always stay like that!
8. What’s the roughest rescue-dog experience you’ve had? Would you change it?
Trevor is my first dog and only rescue dog! The worst was the two days after I brought him home. He has an issue with obsessively spinning when stressed and he just spun in circles, barking and barking for HOURS and I had no idea how to make him stop! He was completely untrained, he wee’d in the house and he was entirely unmanageable. I ended up in tears approximately every hour, either clutching at his collar or sat on the floor in the bathroom with the door shut and him spinning outside the door, still barking!
Thankfully now he only spins once every few days and I can make him stop with a verbal command 🙂
9. What do you feed your dogs?
I feed Trevor on Burns Sensitive Duck and Brown Rice. I am however going to change him over to Vitalin Chicken and Potato thanks to my Mum giving me a 15kg bag of it for free! She swapped her dogs over to raw only so I get all her leftover kibble! Going ‘low grains’ and ‘no grains’ has helped Trevor’s behaviour no end, and has also helped his farts! He was fed on Chappie when I brought him home and he did the worst farts, to the point where I was walking around B&Q with my housemate and I could still smell his bum toots! He was doing enormous wet poos too and was always bouncing like a kid after a pound of sweets.
I would REALLY recommend to anyone to go for a more high end kibble diet. He has calmed down a bit, is much more attentive, his poos don’t stink and he is SO SHINY! His coat was remarkably dull when I got him, now he is beautiful, attentive, shiny and not-smelly!
10. What’s the most hilarious rescue-dog experience you’ve had?
I am going to write a blog post about this later on so this is just a little snippet of life as the owner of Trevor!
Last night he jumped into a bush, within that bush was a child having a wee. Screaming ensued, mostly from me and Trevor, the child didn’t seem bothered!
11. Three most important things for people to know about rescue dogs:
1. They are F*****NG HARD WORK. Seriously. Do not underestimate how much hard work they are
2. They don’t understand a lot of things, and it is your job as the leader of the pack to educate them and help them understand. Don’t chastise, don’t shout, just guide them and teach them. They want a quiet life too!
3. It takes time, but when they fall asleep on your lap for the first time ever it’s so worth it. I sat on the floor with Trevor every night for 3 weeks before he fell asleep on me. He would sit on me but was always on guard and worried, then one day I realised he was snoring, and that little staffie piggy noise told me that he had decided to trust me. Yes, I had a little cry!
Now I have to nominate ELEVEN people! I don’t even follow eleven blogs! I will therefore just nominate a few of varying genres that have made me chuckle over the last month or so 🙂
Here are my questions to y’all 🙂
1. Why did you start your blog?
2. What is your favorite movie?
3. Shoes or bare feet?
4. Who is your favorite author and why?
5. What is your most prized possession?
6. Cat or Dog?
7. What is the most delicious food you have ever eaten?
8. What is your favorite quote and by whom?
9. If you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be?
10. What is your favorite post that you’ve written? (Please provide link!)
11. Share a random piece of wisdom, that relates to the theme of your blog! (Dating/food/animals etc)